Friday, July 23, 2010

I put a different viscosity oil on my car than the one it had can this affect it?

i put a quart of 20w-50 oil on my car and the one in the engine is either 10w-30 or 10w-40. can this make a difference on how the oil rises up to the engine and does it become thicker? what happensI put a different viscosity oil on my car than the one it had can this affect it?
Crap happens I know all about it, 1 qt. will change the viscosity some. If you live in a warm climate I wouldn't loose a whole lot of sleep over it.I put a different viscosity oil on my car than the one it had can this affect it?
Absolutely nothing. All oil is compatible with one another even to mix synthetic and regular oils. In the winter time your choice may cause a problem, but even then it is just one quart. It will be fine till your next oil change, so don't sweat it. BTW the manufactures recommendations are just suggestions. Any oil that you buy in an auto parts store or even a supermarket will be just fine. It is more important to keep your oil topped off than what kind of oil you put in.
That was a bad idea. You should ALWAYS stick to the factory specs. Thicker oil will not get into small cracks to lube well.





Switch back soon. Oil is cheap.








Good Luck...
Lover is right engineers spend years in school and even more years designing and testing cars always check your owners manual

No comments:

Post a Comment