Monday, July 26, 2010

Can old oil, or mixing oil viscosities have the same effect as no oil on an engine? (throwing a rod bearing)?

I bought an old mbz 190d diesel- The oil looked like it was suposed to- black. yesterday, the temp got a little higher than normal, but not overheating. I also notices a new click noise, faint. It leaks some oil, so I topped it off with 10w40. I don't know what was currently in there.


It began making the clicking knocking noise louder while running, and within 15 miles stalled and I believe it is near siezing.


I imagine that I threw a rod bearing or did some kind of severe internal engine damage. I'm trying to figure what the culprit was. old bad oil with viscosity breakdown? mixing oil types, or was this just to little too late. The car had over 400k miles on it.


thanks


vincentCan old oil, or mixing oil viscosities have the same effect as no oil on an engine? (throwing a rod bearing)?
any kind of oil,is better than no oil,ur motor may have ran out of oil before,and caused ur,bottom end damage.Can old oil, or mixing oil viscosities have the same effect as no oil on an engine? (throwing a rod bearing)?
I'm sure it was on it's way out and adding the oil was coincidental to it's timely demise.
That's alot of miles, but not for a diesal . I don't know if you know that a diesal takes a difforent motor oil then cars do. if you put the wrong oil in it that was the problem.
400K miles is alot, even for a diesel that size. Mixing viscosities wont hurt it at all, and neither will adding fresh oil to old oil. Your engine just worn out, bit the dust.
I don't think that mixing the oil had anything to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment