Friday, July 23, 2010

I have a question about Oil viscosity?

I work as a miller. While reading the embossed brass badge on a very old mill I came across this description for what oil to use in the worm drive.





It says, ';Use a compounded steam cylinder oil containing 5-10% acid-less tallow and having a viscosity of 150 seconds saybolt universal at 210 degrees F';.





I known Tallow is a rendered form of beef or mutton fat, processed from suet.


I know Viscosity is a measure of the resistance of a fluid which is being deformed by either shear stress or extensional stress.





***I don't know what the unit ';saybolt'; is referring to @210 F.


Can you Help?I have a question about Oil viscosity?
I the Saybolt viscosity system is old and has been overtaken by the Brookfield viscometer.





The Saybolt Universal Viscosimeter measures kinematic viscosity by measuring the time it takes for a sample to pass through an orifice. In this case, 150 seconds at 210 deg. F.





You need to convert this to centistokes. My table from Cranes has it about 37 centistokes.





Follow this link to find out what 37 centistokes is in real fluids: http://phoenix.eng.psu.ac.th/chem/File/p鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment