Friday, July 23, 2010

I changed my oil viscosity good or bad?

Im using an older car (15+ years) right now and I decided it's summer and i should change my oil. I think here i may have a few problems, first, my oil reserve spewed oil like no other but when i took my oil filter off nothing really came out. Normal? I was told because it's an older car, there is more wear and leaks i should perhaps switch to a higher viscosity (5W-30 to 10W-30). Especially in the summer. Now the manual says 5W is preferred but 10W was also mentioned an alternative. Is this okay? Then I made the mistake of buying 10-40 (1 quart) and people told me it was okay to mix it in just as long as it was diluted by the other oil. ??? I guess my overall question is, is my car going to blow up and should i re-do my oil change and put 5W back in. Over the next few days ill only be driving 10-15 miles overall so im assuming ill be okay with these shorter distances. Help me out!I changed my oil viscosity good or bad?
your oil will be fine....but no oil in the oil filter is bad. That tells me that you don't change your oil very often....there is a bypass so when the filter stops up...oil will still circulate....change your oil more,if you want to thicken your oil...use stp or something ....with the oil the manufacturer suggests...good luckI changed my oil viscosity good or bad?
If the manual says you can use the higher viscosity than it is probably ok. Do not use any oil not recommended by the manual, and do not mix in the 10w-40.





Thicker than recommended oil can cause oil not to reach critical areas in your engine. Your engine could seize up.


If it's leaking, have the leaks repaired.
You can't go wrong drain all the old oil and replacing it totally with new oil of suitable viscosity. By the way, leaks have nothing to do with viscosity. Once your oil pan or some other area of the engine's lubricating casing is leaking, changing oil viscosity will not help and you will constantly lose oil pressure and have to tap up often. Get the leak fixed first
Don't worry. The low number on multiweight oils refers to the viscosity at low temperatures. So being that its summer it won't make any difference between 5w-30 and 10w-30.
Some oil filters will drain the oil back out after the engine is shut off, some have an anti drain back valve built in, so it may be normal not to see a large amount of oil pour out, usually some oil will be present any way. You didn't complain of any noises or issues so I assume the engine is running normal.


I wouldn't worry too much if you just used one quart, and you could safely use 10W30 at your next oil change, 5W30, and 5W20 oils are light duty oils that manufacturers use primarily to get a slight improvement on there fuel mileage certifications,


IMO the oil is too light for most applications, unless you have a new vehicle with lots of design characteristics that require immediate lube and have issues with heaver weights of oils, like 15W40 or 20W50,

No comments:

Post a Comment